Measurement involves the conversion of drawn data into descriptions as well as quantities, performed in order to estimate costs, value, and price the construction works.
Surface measurement is not only aimed at creating a bill of quantities used by contractors in pricing when tendering but also used in both pre-contract measurement and post-contract measurement. It assists in assessing the expected costs of construction work as well as in establishing what the contractors ought to be paid for work completed.
Surface measurement in any construction work is crucial and necessary, whether you intend to remodel your house, build a new home, or merely to upgrade your office.
But how does surface measurement work in construction? Whereas the process of taking several surface measurements may be viewed by many as complicated and technical, it is simple than you imagine. With the right skills, knowledge and surface measurement equipment, you can easily take surface measurements for your construction project.
When you have made up your mind to start upgrading your office space or build a new home, ensure you measure the surface you wish to work on and perform adhesion testing on it.
Even though it may appear complicated, surface measurement is essential when carrying out construction work and renovations. The process lays the foundation for all subsequent tasks as well as the design that would be conducted.
Surface Measurement Steps and Procedures
For any form of surface measurement, there are several steps that you must consider and follow to effectively and accurately perform the measurement.
- Ensure you examine and assess the drawing closely and carefully to familiarize yourself with work and to locate any possible sections in which details are omitted.
- Ensure you interpret the information carefully and logically apply the details as provided in the Standard Method of Measurement of construction works (SMM).
- Make sure you take high precision and accurate dimensions while performing surface measurements.
- Ensure you utilise sub-headings throughout the surface measurement dimensions you take to enable easy identification and waste to preliminary location description, calculations as well as explanatory.
- Ensure that all descriptions you include are adequate, precise, and written in an orderly manner that is simple to understand in a format recommended in the SMM standards.
- Apply a logical sequence of the list of products such that each one follows the other item in a naturally progressive way.
- Lastly, ensure you use a proper and standardized method of presentation.
Principles of Standard methods of Surface Measurement
There must be a standardized basis for the measurement of construction works to guarantee the industry consistency, to eliminate disputes, and to enhance the application of best practices.
The following are fundamental principles and practices that ensure a standard method of surface measurement:
- Ensure you offer a structure for the details that ought to comprise the descriptions
- Make sure you define the unit of surface measurement for every item (for example, in m, tonnes, numbers, etc.).
- Make sure you provide rules regarding what should be included in every item.
- Ensure you define the terminology used in the surface measurement process to avoid disputes.
- An excellent surface measurement method offers a clear way of structuring other task information as well as cross-referencing.