A tow vehicle motorist may be paid a referral charge by a car repair service or body shop to have harmed vehicles towed there. These types of tow truck chauffeurs are understood in the market as “chasers.” A towing truck [รถลากจูง, which is the term in Thai] motorist might be breaking a local bylaw by recommending a repair shop without being asked. To recuperate these recommendation fees, tow vehicle chauffeurs, as well as vehicle repair service or body stores, might “pad” their expenses. Ultimately, you and other policyholders end up paying.
What Can You Do?
Be notified. If you need the services of a tow vehicle motorist, know your civil liberties. Here are some tips:
- Some huge towns permit tow vehicles and require motorists to upload a local permit number on their trucks. If you remain in such a locality, check if the tow vehicle has a municipal license number on its side prior to you utilize its solutions.
- Aim to see if the tow vehicle is connected with a credible company such as an automotive roadside help team or auto organization.
- Listen for noticeable ideas. Does the vehicle driver advise a certain repair facility without being asked? If so, this could be an indicator that a recommendation charge plan exists. In some districts, making such a recommendation may be unlawful.
- Meticulously checked out everything the tow vehicle driver asks you to authorize.
- Ask that your vehicle be taken to a secure location where an insurer or appraiser from your insurance company can have access to it. Some communities call for that your car to be taken to an Accident Reporting Centre or police station prior to it goes anywhere else.
- You have the option to pick where to have your car pulled to for repair work. Some insurer uses preferred repair shops where they have an arrangement that guarantees your vehicle will be repaired to the greatest feasible requirements. To learn more, call your insurer.
The same you should do even if you are planning for towing bigbike [รถยกมอเตอร์ไซค์ big bike, which is the term in Thai]